I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell by Tucker Max...a review


There are very few books that have caused me to laugh out loud numerous times while reading. In the same sense, it is even more rare that a passage is so outlandish, so ridiculous, that I simply have to stop reading in order to share that passage with someone- even if it is multiple pages long. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell does this with remarkable ease.

The absolute absurdity that Tucker Max and his friends continually find themselves involved is on par with one of my top ten books, Youth in Revolt. The books are very different in content, but the willingness of the authors to write without care, is visible in both. And in this case Tucker very obviously does not mind sharing every detail about his life, even the stories that don’t make him look good. Plus, he claims the entire book is absolutely true.

I’m going to preface my next statement. I don’t want to admit the following. This is exactly the kind of book a book club would not choose, when really it is exactly the kind of book that is destined to invoke conversation. But, before you decide to check this book out I feel required to prepare/warn you.

This is not a nice book. Tucker Max is not a nice guy…at all. In fact, the first 100 pages left me so disgusted by his treatment of women, his drunken debauchery, and his overall unnecessary cockiness…all of which is done with such extreme… that I seriously berated myself for buying off the Buy 1, Get 1 50% off rack at Borders. Time and again Tucker shares stories of completely verbally annihilating anyone outside of his circle of friends, mostly females, to which he often ends with pride in how he ruined them. I kept expecting Tucker to show some level of growth as the stories progressed, but he didn’t. Instead he continued his “role” as a man seemingly spoiled with too much money, and surrounded by too many friends who find joy in his cruelty.

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell is a New York Times Bestseller and has already been made into a movie with super attractive, Matt Czuchry, who played Rory’s boyfriend on Gilmore Girls depicting Tucker Max.



The Embassy Suites Story and The Most Disturbing Conversation- Part 2 are both extremely funny. They can both be found on his website if you don’t want to give Tucker Max any more celebrity than he already has. 


Comments

  1. After listening to your thoughts about Tucker Max as you read the book, I have to agree with you. It makes me wonder how "happy" he truly is in his life. I often think people who degrade others to find happiness for themselves are trying to fill a void that exists in their life. I can't help but think of the middle school students I have worked with in the past when they intentionally degrade their "friend" in order to make themselves feel superior.

    I find myself a bit torn, however, when I think about the passage you read to me out loud. Although I laughed out loud many times, which I feel is quite uncommon when you are listening to someone else tell a third hand story, I have to admire Tucker's writing. Tucker Max is clearly a great story teller. The story of him crapping himself in the lobby of the hotel reminds me of listening to Artie Lange talk about his struggles with heroin on the Howard Stern Show. Even though they are both miserable characters, there is something about their ability to portray themselves in a negative light that makes them connectible to the reader.

    So, perhaps for our next Team AAA Book Club: Arizona Chapter book I should read "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell", and you should read "Private Parts".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Pudding Shots

Pudding Shots = Amazing

Pudding Shots 4: Specialty Shots