The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent...a review

There are times when I realize just how incredibly lucky I really am, and at this moment it is in direct correlation to the time that I currently live. Obviously there are downfalls that those living have faced in every single time period in history, and our world today is no different. However, I have shelter, I am able to eat when hungry, and I have a job that enables me to provide for Leah and I (she really likes her dog biscuits), and most importantly, I am not outright condemned for my beliefs.


Heretic's Daughter details the life of Sarah Carrier Chapman, who is not as lucky. As a young girl Sarah's mother, as well as other members of her family, is accused of witchery during the height of the Salem witch trials.  I couldn't help but compare the description of the trials to that of the hearings held by Joseph McCarthy and the House Committee on Un-American Activities during the late 1940's. These trials basically forced innocent people to prove their innocence by shifting blame and accusing others of communist activity. 


Kathleen Kent, the author and actual descendent of Martha Carrier (Sarah's mom), illustrates for her readers how the witch trials lacked any real physical evidence. Instead, gossip and societal abnormalities were used as proof to subject men, women, and children (even babies) to years living in dungeon style jail cells that were completely unequipped to handle the massive overloads of people that were on trial. And then there were those that faced execution. 


Heretic's Daughter is definitely an interesting read. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Pudding Shots

Pudding Shots 4: Specialty Shots

Pudding Shots = Amazing