Love for my Students

[Update 1/7/13--I now only need 4 more copies of The Absolutely True Diary and 3 more copies of The Glass Castle!!!]

Some of you already know that I teach at an alternative high school. The easiest, and most concise way to describe our "client base", is to say we house students who have not been successful in other schools. Detailing out how drugs, fighting, pregnancy, low- Socio Economic Status (SES) and/or super horrible home-lives stereotypically (and accurately) plague a large percentage of our students' lives might create a more vivid picture. Additionally, a high percentage of our students receive modifications and accommodations to their curriculum because they have Individual Education Plans (IEP) and/or 504 plans (providing equal education for students with physical disabilities).

I'm sure all of my teacher friends have a pretty good idea of what this population might actually look like in the classroom--what that might mean for daily instruction. Trying to create and present, realistic and relatable information can be challenging.

For example, my American Literature class is currently working our way through the Scarlet Letter. It was one of a few choices available, as a class set, at my school. Old school teachers and proponents of the classics would right now start defending the need for this book to be taught. They would tell me (and have told me) how risque, how exciting the story line is...adultery and revenge practically pull the students to its pages. The thing is, and I'm sure there is some code of English teacher's that I'm currently breaking by even uttering these words, but the language is so thick and (gasp) old, that my kids are hating it. Keep in mind that these are kids who, at least for some, have never, ever read an entire book.

I don't want my students to hate reading, nor my class for that matter. I want them to see that there are some great books out there. I want them to see that there are books that are relatable to THEIR lives, and I want them to see that when they work hard (struggling, but trying to understand the Scarlet Letter) that good things can come. And that is where (hopefully) some of you come in.

I have never before used my postings as a means to gain anything accept understanding into my quirkiness. This time I am asking for some help in building two, 20 book class sets for the following two books. The Glass Castle and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian are perfect for what I envision. Please take the time to consider the plight of my students, along with my desire to see them succeed, and donate a book or two.

I have attached Amazon.com links to the book titles. Used paperbacks are perfect! My school address is at the bottom of the post for delivery. Also, you could help me even more by sharing this post with anyone who might be interested and able to help out.

Thank you friends, and friends of friends.

[Update 2/10/13:  I now have all copies needed!!! Thank you:) 






Danielle Anderson
c/o East Valley High School
7420 East Main St.
Mesa, AZ 85207  

Although I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, I will update this if I receive any copies so the kind souls who decide to help will know what book set still needs more copies.


Comments

  1. 8 copies of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian are on the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Pudding Shots

Pudding Shots 4: Specialty Shots

Pudding Shots = Amazing