Love For My Students--Part 2

Last year I made a real effort to provide content that did not simply align with our state curriculum standards for my American Literature class. I wanted materials that also enabled my students to make life connections with the literature they were going to be required to read. I asked for donations of The Glass Castle and The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian so that I could replace some of the tired, old classics that consume the few shelves of our paltry "book room". I don't have a negative opinion of classics per se, I just wanted to give my students the opportunity to read something a little different, to vicariously experience situations and settings that didn't take place three hundred years ago. There are so many wonderful modern writers that are ultimately overlooked in our classrooms because as teachers we are designed to simply teach what has previously been taught AND mostly because often that is what we have available to us. It's sad.

The overwhelmingly positive result of implementing the modern novels last year was exactly what I thought it would be. The students responded extremely well to the writing and the experiences presents by the authors. The readings and analysis and discussions were successful and as a whole I truly believe connections were made.

This year, I am looking for a bit more help. My goal is to update my senior English class with a new novel. I am extremely fortunate to be able to modify this class as a whole. Instead of having to cover British Literature for an entire year, I am able to split the year in half between Brit Lit and Multicultural Lit. The novel will be one that we can use during the multicultural semester.

 A Long Way Gone: Memories of a boy soldier (my review),by Ishmael Beah is such an amazing story.


If you feel like you are in a place to help my class and my students, I am looking to acquire 20 books 15 books 12 books 8 books total. Just like last time, I will update the page to let you know if I've reached my goal. Please have the copies mailed to:

Danielle Anderson 
East Valley High School
7420 E. Main St. 
Mesa AZ 85207

Amazon is selling used paperback copies for about three bucks + shipping and handling. My local used book store has them for about six dollars. 

As a side-note, I suppose some of you may be curious as to why I don't just cover the set myself, and that's fair. I spend about $200 throughout every single school year on student notebooks, paper, writing utensils, poster boards, and various crafty miscellany. In my early years it was more like five hundred with posters, general teaching supplies, etc... When husband and I organize monthly student activities, we pay for that out of pocket. When I was working through graduation and husband was in charge of prom, we again paid for supplies out of pocket. I'm not complaining, just informing. We currently work for a school that does not provide funds realistically for any of these types of activities, including new books. And that is why I'm asking for help.

Thank you in advance for being such wonderful people--people willing to help build character in the students who will be our future.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Pudding Shots

Pudding Shots 4: Specialty Shots

Pudding Shots = Amazing