Coastal Ride: Days 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15

Oregon State Parks are great. Some of them are HUGE, but the facilities are still typically clean and organized. Each state park we stayed in Oregon had hot showers, water, restroom facilities with power, and firewood available. Compared to both Washington and Arizona, Oregon definitely knows how to run a park facility that maintains and cares for the environment it is showcasing as well as provides conveniences for those visiting.

Also, we adored our stays in the yurts available in both Washington and Oregon. If I could go back, I would have reserved a couple more of these cutie-pies to make some of our camping stops a little more luxurious. If you have the opportunity, and can actually plan a few months in advance, find a spot and reserve; they're worth it.



Day 10: Rest Day (Eat Day) at Beverly Beach

I think I'm going to call our rest days "eat days" for now on because really, that is all I seem to do from the time I wake up until we go to sleep. Beverly Beach State Park was a great campground to spend our second eat day. There were a couple of trails surrounding the campground that were actually quite beautiful. There are these trees all over the park that they call Octopus trees. I can't remember the actual type of tree, but when the trees were logged years back the trunks were left behind. These trunks became the habitat for new trees. The new tree's roots grew over the old trunks and created some really beautiful "octopus" looking trees. Super cool.













Day 11: Beverly Beach State Park, Newport, OR to Jessie Honeyman State Park, Florence, OR

Total Miles: 62.24
Total Time: 6:39:06
Average Speed: 9:36 mph
Total Elevation Gained: 6,658 ft
Total Calories: 2,977
Start Time: 6:15 am

The ride to Jessie Honeyman was absolutely beautiful, probably the prettiest in terms of the coastal route thus far. While the elevation gain was pretty substantial, about 80% of the ride was alongside the water offering so many different overlooks and picnic spots to stop at enjoy: Cape Perpetua, Neptune, Cooks Chasm and many, many others. We really enjoyed this ride even though it was a bit on the long side and had some decent hills to climb. We saw seals in a few spots, went through a tunnel, and ate fish n chips and clam chowder again. This time the chowder came from Mo's, nationally recognized as the best according to the billboards, but was really not all that great according to me.

About a mile from the campground and bellies full from our late lunch, an SUV drove past and a couple of shitheads threw some of those poppers (snapping fireworks) at us. Luckily, shitheads are ignorant and poppers catch air easily. The poppers did not actually hit us, but definitely annoyed us. I thought the kids were turning into our campground and I had every intention of following them to their spot to tell mommy and daddy all about it. Their turn was not ours and I had to let it go. Obviously, that has been hard for me to do.

As we pulled into camp, Tyler's front tire had our second (and third) flat. As he fixed his tire, I set up camp and moved firewood left behind at another campsite. Can I just say that firewood left behind is like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid. It was a nice treat.










There are a couple seals on those rocks below!!













Loving the tall trees!
Honeyman Sand Dunes

Day 12: Jessie Honeyman SP, Newport, Oregon to Sunset Bay SP, Coos Bay, OR

Total Miles: 55.5 + 3
Total Time: 7:05:47
Average Speed: 7.82 mph
Total Elevation Gained: 5,825 ft
Total Calories: 2,682
Start Time: 6:30 am

Not all rides are perfect and while we've been extremely fortunate that our rides so far have been mostly pleasurable, this ride was simply not. On more than one occasion, I sincerely contemplated getting off my bike, laying on the ground alongside the road, and curling up in the fetal position to just cry it out. This was not a fun ride. It was not scenic (relatively speaking). It had some decent hills to climb. The temperature was down in the 50's. It rained steadily and the headwinds kicked our asses the entire ride. Even when going downhill, we had to peddle, that is how hard the headwinds were. It basically sucked. Runkeeper later told us that it was our "10th fastest" ride (out of 10 rides). Ha.

The bridge into Northbend was the most difficult part for me though (even more difficult than the Astoria bridge if that tells you anything). There was some construction which meant that walking our bikes on the ledge was not an option. Besides, it had a button for cyclists to inform vehicles that we were on the bridge (most do in Oregon) so we went for it. Plus, there really was no other choice. Wind gusts were seriously knocking me around. It took all of my effort and concentration to stay right on top of that white line as there was no shoulder whatsoever. The bridge was also fairly steep. As my legs are pumping away and I'm close to the top and I'm trying so hard to stay straight, some ignorant asshole just laid on their horn. It scared me pretty bad to say the least. It's so frustrating because I know I can't change people or their attitudes toward my biking alongside their cars, but that kind of stupidity is simply dangerous. I could have totally lost control and gone into the path of the car behind me. It's sad because we are doing everything we can to be safe, but I can't make someone be kind or considerate while they pass us.

At the bottom of the bridge, I instantly cried. I was like a pressure cooker. It was a huge release of tension. We stopped at a gas station and I bought 10 tootsie rolls for one dollar. That made me feel a little better. We still had a bit to go to get to Sunset Bay so we pushed on, still fighting the winds and "rolling hills". About seven miles from camp, I got a flat. I was equally deflated. We just filled her up hoping we can limp on in. About four miles from camp we came across a grocery called Davy Jones' Locker. Davy Jones Locker was an oasis. We bought a chocolate and peanut butter pudding cup and tried to decompress.

We made it into camp, staying at the last of the yurts we had reserved. Thank god. It ended up down-pouring all night and so I'm glad we weren't in our tent with all of our stuff. We did take a side bike trip, about three miles (crazy right?) down to Cape Arago, Simpson Reef to check out a seal spot. It was hard getting on the bikes but the seals were pretty damn cool.

Lastly, to the "city" and people of North Bend- you can suck my dick- with your shitty driving, lack of shoulders and bike lanes, and stupid, gravelly hills. I would just like to remind you of one thing, your existence rests solely on your placement between the dunes and ocean. You need the revenue of tourists (whether they come by car or bicycle) to survive, obviously. So maybe just remember when you're beeping your horn impatiently simply because I am sharing your road that you're not New York or LA or somewhere of any actual importance and I'd be willing to bet something of value that you are not late to a meeting that will ultimately cost you millions. Maybe just remember that even though I'm on my bike, I'm a person too and try to maintain some sense of civility.

Oregon Dunes Overlook

Veteran's Memorial outside of North Bend
Stupid North Bend bridge in the distance.
Fixing flat #4.
Cute-ski Yurt-ski
Simpson Reef Seals

Day 13: Sunset Bay SP, OR to Humbug SP, OR

Total Miles: 59.04
Total Time: 6:38:51
Average Speed: 8.88 mph
Total Elevation Gained: 5,557 ft
Total Calories: 2,743
Start Time: 7:30 am

After yesterday's ride, it was really hard to want to get out of bed, to get out of the yurt at all. We left a little later than usual because I think we were both worried it would be a similar ride. Fortunately, it was not. For 60 miles, it was a nice ride. We rode a couple bike route off shoots off of 101. One was on Seven Devils road (named for each hill). Personally, I'd call it 28 Devils, but that's just my opinion.

We also stopped off in cute little beach town called Bandon. Bandon didn't have a whole lot to offer, but there was a nice feel to it. We did have clam chowder and I'd rate it second best of the trip.

One of many wood sculptures all around Bandon.





Port Orford, Oregon Battle Memorial


Heading up to Humbug




















Day 14: Humbug SP, OR to Harris Beach SP, OR

Total Miles: 50.73
Total Time: 5:17:47
Average Speed: 9.58 mph
Total Elevation Gained: 6,958 ft
Total Calories: 2,419
Start Time: 8 am

The Sullivan Support Team of Kimberly, Matt, and Darcy arrived at about midnight. They worked half days and then drove the 400 plus miles to join us in our adventure. I love them. I love everything about them. Matt joined us for our ride to Harris Beach while Kimberly and Darcy drove all our stuff. It was awesome not having bags. If you have the opportunity to ride with a support vehicle, I say it's worth it. It was quite freeing. So freeing that within the first mile of leaving camp, I was giddy, joking about the "falling rocks" that littered the shoulder. Well, I immediately nailed a bowl sized rock that sent me off into the rock wall. I was clipped in and had no time to eject as it were. When Tyler looked back, I was laying against the wall. Luckily, that cliff wall was covered with moss. I was quite comfortable.

About two miles later, Matt got his first flat (our fifth of the ride). Then a 1/4 mile later, Matt got his second flat (our sixth). With those flats out of the way, we took a nice little off shoot off of 101 onto Old 101. It was the original skinny, little road and it was pretty awesome. Otter Park was just off this old route and equally worth the side trip. Matt found a nice little trail that we thought would at least provide us some wind protection to snack. Instead we found this super pretty bluff. It was perfect.

Matt got his third flat about fifteen miles from Harris Beach. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that we left him behind. I don't want anyone to think this is how we treat all guest riders. Kimberly and Darcy were around the area checking out vistas and views and was able to go back for him. At the moment though we had to decide that we had to push on, to hopefully get a text out to Kimberly for pick up and for us to actually finish what had become a long ride time-wise. Ultimately though, Matt patched his tire and continued on, all by himself, and met us back at camp.

This was probably the most picturesque rides so far--absolutely beautiful views, sea stacks, cliff walls, rock formations, and beaches. Gorgeous. 

I have to mention that the Sullivan Support Team was so amazing to us. Kimberly had our tent already set up for us when we arrived. She made us a great chicken, peanut satay for dinner. We had cold shower beers as soon as we arrived. And we basically, non-stop ate. It was awesome. It is impossible for me to express how much their support and friendship means to me. I cried the next morning when we left to continue on our trip. The only way I can think to describe my emotions at this moment was like the come-down after your wedding. Everyone leaves and it's just the two of you, and it's a little sad. We love our friends joining us and helping us along the way, but it's just as sad to see them go.

Matt's first flat.

Matt's second flat.
Bunch of vultures.
Otter Park





Little trail out to the bluff.











Tyler picked up some cute kid on the side of the road.


Sleepy Sullivan Support Team member.
Harris Beach
Matt and Kimberly



Day 15: Harris Beach SP, OR to Anchor Beach Inn, Crescent City, CA

Total Miles: 30.53
Total Time: 2:58:48
Average Speed: 10.25 mph
Total Elevation Gained: 1,493 ft
Total Calories: 1,350
Start Time: 9:30 am

Holy shit, we made it to California and we still have 2/3 of the trip left. We've ridden almost 700 miles and have about 1,100 left to go.

Day 15's ride was easy and quick and electrifying when we saw the Welcome to California sign. As Tyler and I were posing under the sign we heard honking and cheering. It was the Sullivan Support Team heading home. It was a pretty perfect moment.

About five miles later, that happiness continued as we met up with Pam and Erik who drove 1,100 miles to spend a few nights with us on our journey. They picked up our bags and we finished the last 15 miles free to meet back up with them at our first hotel stop, the Anchor Beach Inn.

And actually, everyone is currently waiting on me to head out to the beach. We have some rough climbs over this next week. Wish us luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Pudding Shots

Pudding Shots = Amazing

Pudding Shots 4: Specialty Shots